Dainty Spicy Winter Biscuits
Makes about 60 biscuits, depending on size
125g butter, softened
140g (200ml) Huletts Caramel Sugar
60ml Huletts Molasses
1 extra-large egg
350g (625ml) cake flour
10ml ground ginger
5ml baking powder
2.5ml each ground cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice
1 extra-large egg white, beaten
juice of 1 lemon
130g (250ml) Huletts Icing Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and caramel sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the molasses, egg and water.
- Sift the flour, ginger, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice together. Add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide the dough in half. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- On a Iightly floured surface, roll out each portion of dough to 3mm thickness. Cut shapes with a floured biscuit cutter.
- Place 5cm apart on greased baking sheets. (Re-roll scraps.)
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove from oven and place onto wire racks to cool completely.
- Beat the icing ingredients together until smooth and well mixed.
- Using an icing bag fitted with a thin nozzle, decorate the biscuits as desired.
Hint: For coloured icing, add a drop of food colouring to the portion of icing that you want in a different colour.