- This year’s competition entries will be divided into three categories as per below diagram:
Category Description Your koeksister story… The Business Koeksister You produce and sell koeksisters to the public in a formal and/or informal way. Bake and sell for profit. Success of your business. How many koeksisters do you bake on a day or per month? How many people do you employ? The Traditional Koeksister You have a family recipe/secret. This may also include the Cape Malay version which is a spicy treat finished off with a sprinkling of coconut. Family secret / history The Twist Koeksister You are the experimental baker with a new idea or twist on the traditional. Creativity. Recipe idea. Plaiting style.
- You may enter only once per category but you may submit a separate entry for each category. (i.e. you might fall within The Business category but have a new idea/recipe suggestion for the Twist Category. Different photographs also need to be submitted.)
- The judges will select 5 semi-finalists per category (15 semi-finalists in total).
- The 15 semi-finalists will be informed telephonically on the 23rd May and will be requested to produce a dozen (12) of their koeksisters for final judging. These koeksisters must contain any one of The Promoter’s products. The Promoter will purchase these koeksisters from the semi-finalists and will also take care of all necessary arrangements and/or costs to collect/deliver these koeksisters. Koeksisters must be prepared and be ready for collection/delivery by the 25th May. If, however, in the event that any of the semi-finalists cannot be successfully contacted following all reasonable attempts to do so with the details supplied, The Promoter reserves the right to select another semi-finalist as substitution.
- Three (3) finalists will be selected. Selections will be based on merit as judged by the judges and will be at their sole discretion. The three (3) finalists will be notified by telephone on the 30th May, and thereafter this will be confirmed in writing. The three finalists will also be formally announced on Jacaranda FM on the 3rd June.
- Each of the 3 finalists wins a trip to the Innibos Festival valued at R6,000.
- Each finalist must produce 3000 of their koeksisters and deliver these to the Innibos festival grounds on the 28th June. The Promoter will purchase these koeksisters from each finalist and will also cover cost of delivery.
- During the course of the 4-day Innibos festival, festival visitors will have the opportunity to sample and vote for their best tasting koeksister.
- The baker with the most votes from visitors at the Innibos Festival will walk away with the title of Huletts Koeksister Champion 2016 as well as a R100,000 cash prize.
For full competition rules visit www.hulettssugar.co.za