Kumquat Syrup Served with Ice Cream and Waffles
Yields roughly 6-7 x 250g jars
1 kg ripe kumquat fruits
2 granny smith apples, roughly chopped with core and peel
360g (500ml) Huletts Yellow Sugar
250ml Huletts Golden Syrup
juice of 1 large lemon
10ml (2t) whole star aniseed, bruised
10ml (2t) whole ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
2 cinnamon sticks
- Wash kumquat fruits thoroughly in warm water.
- Roughly chop kumquats, place in pot with apple, and cover with cold water.
- Place lid on pot and boil for 1 hour or until fruit is soft. Do not overcook.
- Strain mixture through a sieve lined with muslin cloth (this is to catch the pips, peel and fruit.)
- Place the liquid in a large pot and add the sugar and syrup.
- Stir until all the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the lemon juice along with the spices and boil for 15 minutes.
- Strain again through a sieve lined with a muslin cloth.
- Boil the syrup until syrup has reached a thick to medium syrupy consistency.
- Pour into warm sterilised jars.
- Seal immediately.