Huletts Koeksister Champion 2016
Our crowning of the Huletts Koeksister Champion 2016 at the Innibos Festival was, once again, a huge success. Thousands of Innibos festival-goers visited the Huletts stand, where they tasted and voted for their best koeksister. Thank you to our three finalists, Daleen van Schalkwyk, Marietjie Maree and Retha Skein, who baked thousands of koeksisters – they were all of excellent standard and quality and we are proud to be associated with you.
Hearty congratulations to Retha Skein who walked away with the title of Huletts Koeksister Champion 2016 and the fabulous R100 000 cash prize!
From left: Paul Dickinson (Tongaat Hulett Sugar), Daleen van Schalkwyk (finalist), Retha Skein (winner), Marietjie Maree (finalist), Cindy van Jaarsveld (Stabilis Inc. Auditors), Carmen van der Merwe.
Huletts and kykNET’s – Koekedoortjie! A successful new partnership and thank you to the ‘Getroud met Rugby’ stars for being fantastic MC’s! (http://www.facebook.com/kyknet / http://www.facebook.com/koekedoor)
2 kg (10 cups) Huletts White Sugar
1, 25 litre (5 cups) water
15 ml (1 T) lemon juice
15 ml (1 T) Huletts Golden Syrup
420 g (3 cups) cake flour
3 ml (½ t) salt
20 ml (4 t) baking powder
15 ml (1 T) margarine
250 ml (1 cup) milk
5 ml (1 t) vinegar
cooking oil for frying
- Syrup: Place all the ingredients into a large saucepan. Heat while stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil and boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Dough: Sift the dry ingredients together. Rub in margarine until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the milk and vinegar and mix to a soft dough.
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth and allow to stand for 15-30 minutes.
- Brush work surface with a little cooking oil. Roll out dough to a thickness of 5 mm and cut into strips, about 2 cm wide and 5 cm long. Cut strips into two or three smaller strips without cutting all the way through. Twist or plait the koeksisters starting from the uncut side, pinching the cut ends securely together to ensure that the koeksisters won’t open when cooked.
- Deep-fry in hot oil (170⁰C) until golden brown on both sides.
- Remove from oil and immediately dip into syrup, making sure that the koeksister is soaked through. Remove, allow excess syrup to drip off, and leave to dry on a wire rack.
Makes ± 36 koeksisters, depending on size
Recipe by Retha Skein