Chocolate Coffee Cake - a mocha delight!
Makes one (double layer) cake.
Ingredients375ml (1½ cups) cake flour
15ml (3 teaspoons) baking powder
5ml (1 teaspoon) salt
15ml (3 teaspoons) instant coffee powder
5ml (1 teaspoon) ground cinnamon
3 eggs, separated
185ml (¾ cup) Huletts White Sugar
100ml strong black coffee, cooled
5ml (1 teaspoon) vanilla essence
- Sift the dry ingredients together.
- Beat the egg yolks and the remaining ingredients together for 3 minutes.
- Add the flour mixture and beat until well mixed.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry and fold into the mixture
- Divide the mixture evenly between two greased 20cm diameter round cake pans. Bake at 190°C for 20 minutes, or until when pressed with a finger the cake springs back.
- Turn out on to wire rack to cool completely before icing with a coffee flavoured butter icing.