Preparation time: 30 minutes plus soaking overnight
Cooking time: 4 hours, plus reheating
- Place the raisins, currants, sultantas, dates, mixed peel and apricots into a large mixing bowl.
- Pour over the beer, rum, lemon rind and juice, and the orange rind and juice.
- Cover the bowl and set aside to soak overnight.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light.
- Stir in the grated apple and molasses.
- Beat the eggs in one by one, adding 15 ml self-raising flour to help prevent the mixture from curdling.
- Fold in the remaining flour and spices.
- Add the breadcrumbs and gently fold mixture together.
- Stir in soaked fruit, then all make your wishes.
- Grease and line 2 x 1 kg pudding basins or 4 x 500 g pudding basins.
- Spoon in the mixture.
- Cut round lids out of doubled greaseproof paper, allowing a little overhang.
- Fold a 1 cm pleat down the centres of the greaseproof circles and cover basins, tying in place with string under rim.
- Pleat a piece of foil or muslin in the same way and secure over basins.
- Steam for 4 hours, topping up with boiling water as required, or cook in a pressure cooker for 2 hours.
- Store pudding until needed, then steam for a further 2-4 hours, or 2 hours in a pressure cooker.