Classic Chocolate Cake
4 Eggs, separated
170 g Huletts White Sugar
60 ml (4 tbsp) Cocoa
60 ml Warm Water
75 g Butter OR Margarine, melted
2 ml Vanilla Essence
160 g Flour
10 ml (2 tsp) Baking Powder
30 g (± 5 tsp) Huletts White Sugar
150 g Butter OR Margarine
280 g Huletts Icing Sugar
A few drops of Vanilla Essence
12.5 ml Hot Water
45 ml (3 tbsp) Cocoa, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Grease two 20 cm baking pans.
- Blend the egg yolks and 170 g of sugar together until thick and smooth.
- In a separate bowl, mix the cocoa with the water and add the butter (or margarine) and vanilla essence.
- Pour the cocoa mixture into the egg mixture and beat well.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites, add the 30 g of sugar and beat until soft peaks form.
- Fold the egg whites into the cake mixture.
- Pour into the baking pans and bake for approximately 35 minutes.
- Turn out on a cooling rack and leave to cool.
- Cream the butter (or margarine), sugar and vanilla essence together, then slowly beat in the water and cocoa.
- Sandwich the cooled cakes together with a little icing and spread the remainder over the top and sides of the cake. Press vermicelli onto the sides and sprinkle on top of the cake. Decorate with chocolate truffles or fruit (strawberries or black cherries are nice) if desired.