Classic Chocolate Cake
4 Eggs, separated
170 g Huletts White Sugar
60 ml (4 tbsp) Cocoa
60 ml Warm Water
75 g Butter OR Margarine, melted
2 ml Vanilla Essence
160 g Flour
10 ml (2 tsp) Baking Powder
30 g (± 5 tsp) Huletts White Sugar
150 g Butter OR Margarine
280 g Huletts Icing Sugar
A few drops of Vanilla Essence
12.5 ml Hot Water
45 ml (3 tbsp) Cocoa, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Grease two 20 cm baking pans.
- Blend the egg yolks and the 170 g of sugar until thick and smooth.
- Blend the cocoa with the water and add the butter or margarine and vanilla essence separately.
- Pour into the egg mixture and continue beating until well blended.
- Fold in the sifted flour and baking powder.
- Separately whisk the egg whites and add the 30 g of sugar and beat until soft peaks form.
- Fold into the cake mixture.
- Pour into the baking pans and bake for approximately 35 minutes.
- Turn out onto a cooling rack to cool.
- Cream the butter or margarine, sugar and vanilla essence together, then slowly beat in the water and cocoa.
- Sandwich the cooled cakes together with a little icing and spread the remainder over the top and sides of the cake. Press vermicelli onto the sides and sprinkle on top of the cake. Decorate with chocolate truffles or fruit (strawberries or black cherries are nice) if desired.