Cool Coconut Ice
Makes 36 squares
900 g (4 ½ cups) Huletts White Sugar
- Place the sugar and milk into a heavy-based saucepan. Heat gently, stirring with a wooden spoon until the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to a rapid boil, cover with the lid and boil for 3 minutes.
- Uncover and boil for a further 3–5 minutes or until the mixture has reached the soft ball stage (when a little syrup is dropped into iced water it forms a ball which flattens of its own accord when picked up with the fingers).
- Remove from the heat and add the coconut. Stir until combined.
- Quickly pour half the mixture into a 22 cm square greased and lined pan. Stand the saucepan containing the rest of the mixture in a bowl of hot water to prevent the mixture from setting. Add the few drops of pink food colouring. Quickly pour the pink mixture over the white mixture in the square pan.
- Leave till half set. Cut into squares using an oiled knife. Leave to set completely. Store in an airtight container.