Delicious Date Loaf
Ingredients250 g Dates, roughly chopped
185 ml ( ¾ cup) Boiling Water
5 ml (1 tsp) Bicarbonate of Soda
45 ml (3 tbsp) Margarine
185 ml ( ¾ cup) Huletts SunSweet Brown Sugar
5 ml (1 tsp) Vanilla Essence
60 g Chopped Nuts – Pecan Nuts OR Almonds (optional)
435 ml (1 ¾ cups) Cake Flour
Pinch of Salt
5 ml (1 tsp) Baking Powder
Pouring Sauce (optional – see method point 7)
- Add the bicarbonate of soda to the water and soak the dates in this mixture
- Cream the margarine and the brown sugar. Add the egg and beat well.
- Add the vanilla essence and chopped nuts
- Sift in the flour, salt and baking powder, alternately with the dates and the liquid in which they were soaked.
- Mix well. Spoon the mixture into a greased loaf tin approximately 22 cm x 12 cm.
- Bake at 180°C for 1 hour until golden brown.
- At this point the cake is ready for eating. However, adding a sauce makes it extra special. Combine 160 ml sugar, 100 ml water, 15 ml butter, 30 ml brandy and 5 ml vanilla essence in a saucepan. Simmer for 4–5 minutes or until the sugar has dissolved. Pour over cooled cake, and serve with whipped cream.