Festive Fruit Cake
Ingredients500 ml (2 C) fruit cake mix
125 ml (½ C) glacé cherries, halved
62 ml (¼ C) brandy
125 g butter - room temperature
125 ml (½ C) Huletts sugar
4 extra large eggs
500 ml (2 C) cake flour
5 ml (1 t) baking powder
5 ml (1 t) mixed spice
10 ml (2 t) cinnamon
5 ml (1 t) ginger
10 ml (2 t) bicarbonate of soda
250 ml (1 C) milk
62 ml (¼ C) Huletts molasses
- Soak the cake mix and cherries in the brandy overnight.
- Cream butter and sugar together and add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition until light and fluffy.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and spices together and fold into the creamed mixture.
- Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda in the milk and add to creamed mixture along with the Huletts molasses.
- Add the fruit and mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into a deep greased and lined 22 cm tin and place into a preheated oven at 160ºC for 1 hour or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Decorate with blanched almonds and glacé fruit if desired.