Fresh Summer Fruit Cake
Ingredients1.25 kg Mixture of Fresh Seasonal Fruit (e.g. apples, pears, pineapple, bananas, dates, peaches, plums, figs, cherries)
230 g Butter OR Margarine
330 g Huletts White Sugar
300 g Cake Flour, sifted
2 ml ( ½ tsp) Salt
2 ml ( ½ tsp) Mixed Spice
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Prepare the fruit, reserving some apple, pear or dates for the topping.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the salt, flour and mixed spice.
- Gently fold in the prepared fruit until just mixed, stirring as little as possible.
- Grease and flour a 23 cm diameter cake pan. Pour in the mixture.
- Place the reserved fruit on top of the cake batter. Press down lightly.
- Bake for 1 ½ hours, or until the cake seems firm to the touch. Allow to cool for 5 minutes in the pan before turning it out onto a cooling rack. Sprinkle with castor sugar and allow to cool completely.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with pouring cream or ice cream.