Serve 8 - 10
280 g (2 cups) cake flour
20 ml (4 t) baking powder
3 ml (½ t) salt
315 g (1½ cups) Huletts Castor Sugar
125 ml (½ cup) sunflower oil
180 ml (¾ cup) full cream milk
6 extra large eggs, room temperature, separated
10 ml (2 t) vanilla essence
1 ml (¼ t) cream of tartar
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC. 1 x ungreased 25 cm loose bottomed tube chiffon tin with legs.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and half of the castor sugar twice.
- In a separate bowl, beat the oil, milk, egg yolks and vanilla essence until pale and yellow and stir into the flour mixture.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add remaining sugar and continue beating until stiff and glossy. Set aside.
- Using a metal spoon gently stir a third of the egg white mixture into the batter to lighten it before folding in the remaining egg whites. Scrape the bottom of the bowl to ensure the batter is well blended.
- Pour the batter into the ungreased chiffon tin. Bake for 55-60 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, turn the tin upside down to stand on its legs or invert the pan over a bottle. Allow to cool completely. If needed gently loosen the edges with a sharp knife to turn out.