Baked Tomatoes Filled with Mixed Vegetables
Serves 8 - 10
8-10 medium sized tomatoes
1 slice, stale white bread, crumbed
60 g butter
1 large garlic clove
1 onion, chopped
1 celery stick, chopped
5 ml (1 t) celery seeds
200 ml tomato pulp (from hollowed out tomatoes)
20 ml freshly chopped basil
12 g (1 T) Huletts SunSweet Brown Sugar
10 ml (2 t) wine vinegar
freshly ground black pepper and salt, to taste
100 g mozzarella cheese, grated (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC.
- Slice the tops of the tomatoes off and keep aside.
- Carefully scoop out the inside flesh of the tomatoes and set aside.
- Turn the tomatoes cut side down to allow for any juice to drain.
- Melt half of the butter in a pan and fry the breadcrumbs until golden brown, remove from pan and set aside.
- Place the remainder of the butter in the pan, add the garlic, onion and celery and fry until soft and golden.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the pan and fry together for 2-3 minutes.
- Divide the mixture between the tomatoes, gently pressing filling into the tomato.
- Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and mozzarella, if used.
- Place tomatoes snugly into individual bowls or place on a lined baking tray.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until tomatoes have heated through.
Serve as a side dish with a meal or on its own with crusty bread.