Serves 4 - 6
4 extra large egg whites
420 g (2 cups) Huletts Castor Sugar
310 ml (1¼ cup) cream
5 ml (1 t) vanilla essence
25 g (2 T) Huletts Castor Sugar
fresh berries of your choice
crystallized rose petals, see recipe below
±30 rose petals
1 extra large egg white
60 ml (4 T) Huletts Castor Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 140ºC. Line a baking tray with baking paper or aluminium foil (shiny side down).
- Using an electric mixer whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form, then slowly add the castor sugar, a little at a time until all the sugar is incorporated and the mixture is smooth and glossy.
- Pile mixture onto the prepared sheet and spread meringue to desired shape. Use a palette knife to neaten sides and top.
- Bake for 1 hour, then turn off oven and allow to cool completely in the oven.
- Whip up the cream with the sugar and vanilla essence until fluffy, place onto the Pavlova and top with mixed berries and crystallized rose petals.
Method for rose petals
- Carefully remove the petals from the roses, lightly whisk the egg white and spoon the sugar into a shallow bowl.
- Hold the base of a petal using the tip of your thumb and fore finger and paint both sides with the egg white, ensuring you cover the whole petal.
- Spoon the sugar over the petal, shaking off any excess.
- Place the petals on baking paper and leave to dry for at least 2 hours or overnight if possible. The crystallized petals can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.