Billtong and Chilli Cheese Bread
Makes 2 loaves of bread or 2 focaccia flatbreads.
1 250 ml (5 cups) bread wheat flour
10 g instant dry yeast
10 ml (2 t) salt
5 ml (1 t) black pepper
8 ml (1 ½ t) chilli flakes (optional)
15 ml (1 T) spring onions, chopped
45 ml (3 T) Huletts treacle sugar
80 ml (1/3 cup) oil
375 ml (1 ½ cups) water
187 ml (¾ cup) milk
Filling or Topping:
250 ml (1 cup) cheddar cheese, grated
60 ml (¼ cup) spring onions, chopped
125 ml (½ cup) biltong, finely chopped
- Combine the flour, yeast, salt, pepper, chili flakes and spring onions in a large bowl.
- Add the oil, water and milk and mix until combined.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic for about 5 minutes. (Depending on the humidity and moisture content of the flour, additional water or flour may be required.)
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover and leave to double in size.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, knock back or lightly knead and divide the dough in half.
- For the loaves: Grease 2 x 28cm loaf tins. Shape the dough into a rectangle the size of the loaf tins. Evenly spread the cheese, spring onions and biltong over the top of the dough, and roll up in the shape of a Swiss roll. Place the dough into the prepared loaf tins, cover and leave to rise until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Bake the bread for 40 - 45 minutes, until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped, and the crust is golden brown, allow to cool for a few minutes in the tin, then cool on a wire rack.
- For the focaccia: Grease 2 x baking sheets. Press the dough into 2 large flat rounds and place on the prepared baking sheets. Evenly sprinkle the cheese, spring onions and biltong on top of the focaccia rounds, cover and leave to rise.
- Bake at 180°C, for 20 - 30 minutes or until the focaccias are crisp and golden.
Other toppings / fillings can be used such as pepperdews, nuts, parmesan, and herbs.