Makes 4-6 portions
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Melt the butter in a large, heavy-based saucepan and sauté the onion until soft.
- Add the mince and fry until it changes colour.
- Stir in the dry spices, sugar, raisins, vinegar, chutney, Worcester sauce, jam and tomato paste.
- Remove the bread from the water and add to the mince mixture.
- Blend well and cook over low heat for about 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Turn the mixture into a large, ovenproof dish.
- Beat the milk and eggs together and pour over the mince mixture.
- Push the fresh lemon leaves into the mixture with half of the leaf sticking out. (The lemon leaves give a tangy flavour to the dish).
- Bake, uncovered, for about 1 hour.