Bobotie Spring Rolls
Makes 40 - 50 spring rolls
30 ml (2 T) sunflower oil
1 onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
20 ml (4 t) medium curry powder
5 ml (1 t) ground cumin
5 ml (1 t) ground coriander
3 ml (½ t) chilli powder
500 g lamb mince
2 bay leaves - dried
45 ml (3 T) Huletts brown sugar
10 ml (2 t) salt
5 ml (1 t) black pepper
30 ml (2 T) hot chutney
30 ml (2 T) dhania, chopped
2 extra large eggs
60 ml (¼ cup) cream
Spring roll pastry sheets (1 pack 50 sheets)
Cake wheat flour and water mixed to a paste
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the onion and garlic until soft.
- Add the spices and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the mince and lightly brown.
- Add the bay leaves, Huletts brown sugar, salt, pepper and chutney and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the dhania, eggs and cream.
- Remove the bay leaves and leave to cool.
- Separate the sheets of spring roll pastry. Spoon one tablespoon of the filling into the centre of the pastry sheet and roll the spring roll, sealing the edge with the flour paste. Repeat with the remaining spring roll sheets and filling.
- Shallow fry in oil, turning regularly, drain on a paper towel and serve with chutney or sweet chilli sauce.
Unfried spring rolls freeze well.