Serves 8 - 10
15 ml (1 T) vegetable oil
2 large onions, finely chopped
30 ml (2 T) fresh garlic, chopped
30 ml (2 T) fresh ginger, grated
3 red chilies, chopped (remove seeds for a less spicy version)
15 m (1 T) fresh thyme leaves
10 ml (2 t) curry powder
5 ml (1 t) turmeric powder
10 ml (2 t) paprika
45 ml (3 T) Huletts SunSweet Brown Sugar
1 red pepper, diced
5 medium carrots, grated
400 g (4 cups) cabbage, shredded
410 g (1 tin) chopped tomatoes
30 ml (2 T) white wine vinegar
80 ml (⅓ cup) water
salt and black pepper
- Place the oil in a medium size saucepan over medium to low heat.
- Add the onions and sauté until soft and translucent.
- Increase the heat slightly and add the garlic, ginger, chillies and thyme and cook for a further two minutes while stirring.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the curry powder, turmeric powder, paprika and Huletts SunSweet Brown Sugar while stirring, cook for a minute or two until the onion mixture is mixed in.
- Add the red pepper, carrots and cabbage while stirring and cook for a further minute or two.
- Lastly add the tomatoes, vinegar and water. Mix well and cover the saucepan with a lid and leave to simmer for 20 - 30 minutes while stirring occasionally, until soft.
- Season well with salt and black pepper.
- Serve warm with braai meats and pap.