Makes 30-50 balls, depending on size.
45 ml (3 T) sunflower oil
250 g popcorn
400 g (2 cups) Huletts White Sugar
125 ml (½ cup) water
5 ml (1 t) vanilla essence
125 ml (½ cup) Huletts Golden Syrup
5 ml (1 t) salt
5 ml (1 t) bicarbonate of soda
230 g butter
- Place the oil in a large pot over high heat, cover with lid.
- Add the popcorn to the hot oil, cover with lid and allow the corn to 'pop' approximately 5 - 8 minutes.
- Remove from pot and place in an even layer on a large baking sheet.
- In a large pot bring the sugar, water, vanilla essence, syrup, salt and bicarbonate of soda to the boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 5 - 8 minutes or until you have a dark caramel colour.
- Remove from heat and stir in the butter.
- Pour warm caramel over the popcorn and stir through quickly coating all the corn.
- Leave to cool slightly and roll into balls - any size that you desire.
- Package as desired into airtight packaging.