Caramelised Onion, Thyme and Cheese Tartlets
Makes 8 tartlets
8 loose tartlet tins, greased and lined.
- Place the flour in a food processor, add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add 3 tablespoons of iced water to the breadcrumbs and pulse until the dough comes together. If the mixture is too crumbly add a little more water.
- Place the pastry onto a lightly floured surface and roll into a thick roll.
- Divide the roll into 8 equal pieces and roll the pastry out on a lightly floured surface. Press the pastry into the tartlet tins and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line the pastry with baking paper, and fill with beans or pastry weights. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove the paper and beans and bake for a further 15 minutes, until the pastry is crisp and golden brown. Cool completely.
- Place the oil in a large saucepan over medium low heat, add the onions and Huletts brown sugar until soft and golden. Season well with salt and pepper and leave to cool.
- Divide the cooled onions between the pastry cases. Sprinkle the cheddar cheese and camembert cheese over the onions, then sprinkle the thyme leaves over the cheese.
- Lightly whisk the eggs and cream together, and pour over the filling.
- Stand on a tray and bake for 30-35 minutes, until the pastry is golden, and the filling is puffed and firm. Serve warm, or at room temperature.
Blue cheese may be used instead of the camembert.