For the buns
490 g (3½ cups) cake flour, plus extra for dusting
5 ml (1 t) salt
1 x 10 g sachet instant dried yeast
75 g butter
300 ml milk
1 extra large egg
75 g (110 ml) Huletts Treacle Sugar
10 ml (2 t) ground cinnamon
100 g sultanas
50 g (1/3 cup) dried mixed fruit
50 g (1/3 cup) chopped pecan nuts (optional)
For the topping
25 g (2 T) Huletts Castor Sugar
30 ml (2 T) for the glaze
- Sift the flour, salt and yeast into a bowl.
- Place 40 g of the butter in a small saucepan and pour over the milk. Gently heat until the butter is melted and the milk is lukewarm and beat in egg.
- Make a well in centre of flour mix and stir in the milk to make a soft dough.
- Turn out on to a floured work surface and knead for 5 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic. Place in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with greased clingfilm. Set aside in a warm place for 2 hours, or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Knock the dough back and turn out on to a ﬂoured work surface. Roll the dough out into a rectangle 1cm thick.
- Melt the remaining butter and brush over the dough.
- Mix the treacle sugar, cinnamon, sultanas and dried fruit and scatter over the dough.
- With one of the long sides nearest to you, roll up the dough into a tight cylinder. Cut into 7 equal slices and place on a lightly greased baking sheet, leaving a little space between each slice.
- Cover with the greased clingfilm; leave somewhere warm to rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Bake the buns for 20-25 minutes until risen and golden.
- Meanwhile simmer 30 ml (2 T) milk and 25 g sugar in a saucepan for 3 minutes. Brush over the buns straight from the oven, top with chopped pecan nuts, if desired.
- Set aside to cool on a wire rack.