Chicken Casserole with Herb Dumplings
Serves 4 - 6
30 ml (2 T) olive oil
1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
1 green pepper, seeded and diced
4 chicken thighs and 4 chicken drumsticks
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
3 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
2 tins (400 g) chopped tomatoes
15 ml (1 T) Huletts White Sugar
10 ml (2 t) salt
5 ml (1 t) coarsely ground black pepper
45 ml (3 T) brown onion soup powder
250 ml (1 cup) self-raising wheat flour
3 ml (½ t) salt
30 ml (2 T) butter
1 extra large egg
5 ml (1 t) Huletts White Sugar
30 ml (2 T) chopped herbs or dried mixed herbs
125 ml (½ cup) milk or water
- Place the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and green pepper and fry until soft.
- Add the chicken and lightly brown while turning.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, tomato, Huletts white sugar, salt and pepper. Turn up the heat and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Mix the soup powder with a little water to form a paste. Add to the casserole while stirring until thickened. Place the dumplings on top of the chicken, cover with a lid and leave to simmer over a low heat for approximately 20 minutes or until the dumplings are cooked.
- Sift flour and salt into mixing bowl.
- Rub butter in lightly with fingertips,
- Beat the egg, add the herbs, Huletts white sugar and milk or water
- Add egg mixture to flour and mix to form a soft dough. Drop spoonfuls in to the casserole.
Stew freezes well without dumplings