Chocolate and Beetroot Cake – Dairy Free
250 g (1 cup) cooked beetroot (fresh or vacuum-packed)
200 ml oil
5 ml (1 t) vanilla extract or vanilla essence
3 extra large eggs
185 ml (¾ cups) Huletts Castor Sugar
310 ml (1¼ cups) self-raising flour
5 ml (1 t) baking powder
185 ml (¾ cup) cocoa powder
3 ml (½ t) salt
Fresh mixed berries
Huletts Icing Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180⁰C. Grease a 26 cm ring tin.
- Puree the beetroot in a food processor and pour into a large bowl.
- Add the oil and vanilla extract to the beetroot and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl beat the eggs and sugar together until light and creamy.
- Fold the egg and sugar mixture into the beetroot mixture.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, cocoa and salt together and fold into the beetroot mixture, mix until well combined.
- Spoon batter into the prepared tin.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until the cake is firm to the touch or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Allow cakes to cool in the tin for a few minutes before turning out onto awire rack to cool completely.
- To serve: Fill the centre of the cake with berries and dust with Huletts Icing Sugar. Delicious served with whipped Orley Whip.
Hint: Cake can be kept for up to a week if refrigerated, can also be frozen.