Chocolate Cake Fun for Father's Day
Ingredients4 extra large eggs
250g (375 ml) Huletts Castor Sugar
280g (500 ml) cake flour
20ml baking powder
5ml vanilla essence
250g good quality dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Beat eggs and castor sugar together until thick and creamy.
- Heat milk and butter together, but do not boil.
- Sift the dry ingredients together and fold into egg mixture alternately with the milk mixture.
- Add vanilla essence. Stir into batter.
- Spoon into 2 x 22 cm round greased cake pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until done. Cool on wire rack.
- Sandwich the cake layers with ganache or jam.
- Refrigerate the cake for 10 minutes then place on a wire rack with a tray underneath to catch the drips. Pour the ganache over the centre of the cake and use a spatula to spread over the top and sides.
- Break the chocolate into blocks and place in a heatproof bowl.
- In a saucepan, bring the cream to the boil and immediately pour over the chocolate.
- Add the butter and allow to stand for 5 minutes before stirring gently with a whisk until smooth.
Hint: To make white chocolate ganache: 250g white cooking chocolate, 125ml cream, 60ml butter, 5ml vanilla essence. Use the method as above adding the vanilla essence with the butter.