Chocolate Chiffon Cake with Toppings
1 x Chocolate Chiffon Cake (see recipe – The Art of Making a Chiffon Cake)
For the Crème Patisserie:
500 ml (2 cups) milk
1 vanilla pod, split down the middle and seeds scraped out (or use 10 ml (2 t) vanilla essence)
105 g (½ cup) Huletts Castor Sugar
4 extra large egg yolks
40 g (5 T) corn flour
50 g butter
For the Chocolate Ganache:
250 g good quality dark chocolate
250 ml (1 cup) cream
15 ml (1 T) butter
To make the Crème Patisserie:
- Pour the milk into a medium size sauce pan, add the vanilla pod and seeds. Bring the milk mixture to the boil and remove from the heat.
- Whisk the sugar, egg yolks and corn flour together in a large bowl.
- Pour a little of the hot milk onto the egg mixture, while whisking. Whisk in the rest of the hot milk until well-combined and return to saucepan.
- Place over a gentle heat while stirring continuously until the mixture thickens and just comes to the boil.
- Remove from the heat and pour the mixture into a sieve placed over a bowl. Add the butter and stir until melted and thoroughly combined.
- Leave to cool, cover with cling wrap and leave to chill in refrigerator before using.
- Use a pipping bag and decorate the cake as desired, return to fridge.
To make the Chocolate Ganache:
- Break the chocolate into blocks and place in a heatproof bowl. Pour the cream into a small saucepan, bring to the boil and immediately pour over the chocolate. Add the butter and allow to stand for 5 minutes, then gently whisk until smooth.
- Remove cake from fridge and place on a wire rack with a tray placed underneath to catch the drips. Pour the Ganache over the cake and use a spatula to spread over the top and sides.