Chocolate Pecan Tartlets Topped with Meringue
Makes 10 - 12 x 8cm tartlets
450ml (1 4/5 cup) cake wheat flour
1 ml (pinch) of salt
100g butter - softened
187ml (3/4 cup) Huletts Icing Sugar
2 extra large eggs
150g dark chocolate
30ml (2 T) Cocoa powder
310ml (1 ¼ cup) toasted, chopped pecan nuts
125ml (½ cup) Huletts Castor Sugar
4 extra large egg yolks – reserve the egg whites
4 extra large egg whites
310ml (1 ¼ cup) Huletts Castor Sugar
- Sift the flour and salt together. Place the flour and butter in a bowl and using your fingertips rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Stir in the Huletts icing sugar and eggs until well combined.
- Place the pastry onto a lightly floured surface and knead until a smooth dough forms.
- Cover the pastry and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. 10 – 12 x 8cm greased tart tins
- Roll the pastry out on a lightly floured surface to the desired thickness.
- Cut rounds slightly larger than the tart tins and carefully place pastry in the tins, allowing a slight excess to hang over the edge.
- Line the pastries with baking paper, and place a layer of beans or rice on the paper and bake blind in the preheated oven for 5 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and trim the excess pastry along the edge of the tart tin with a sharp knife, remove the baking paper and beans and leave to cool.
For the filling:
- Melt the butter and chocolate in the microwave on a low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add the nuts, cocoa powder, Huletts castor sugar and egg yolks and mix well.
- Divide the mixture evenly between your pastry cases
For the topping:
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Beat the egg whites in a clean bowl until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the Huletts castor sugar while beating until soft peaks form and your meringue is firm.
- Place the meringue into a piping bag with a star nozzle and pipe meringue onto the top of each tartlet.
- Bake until firm and light golden brown.
Best eaten fresh.