Chocolate Whoopie Pies
Makes ±20 whoopie pies
280 g (2 cups) cake flour
50 g (½ cup) cocoa powder
7 ml (1¼ t) bicarbonate of soda
5 ml (1 t) salt
250 ml (1 cup) buttermilk
5 ml (1 t) vanilla essence
125g butter, softened
200g (1 cup) Huletts SunSweet Brown Sugar
1 extra large egg
20 marshmallows or icing of your choice, as filling
silver glitter, optional
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Sift the dry ingredients together.
- In a small bowl combine the buttermilk and vanilla essence.
- Beat the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the egg and beat well.
- Mix in the dry ingredients alternating with the buttermilk, starting and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix until smooth.
- Spoon small mounds, the size of ping pong balls, well-spaced, onto 2 greased baking trays.
- Bake for 8 -10 minutes until the tops are puffed and cakes spring back when touched.
- Remove pies from the oven and place half of the whoopies on a cooling rack.
- Turn the remaining whoopies over and place a marshmallow on top of each. Return to the oven for 2 minutes or until the marshmallow has softened.
- Remove from the oven and cool slightly. Press the cooled whoopies on top.
- Sprinkle with silver glitter, if desired. (If using icing sugar as filling, let all whoopies cool to room temperature before sandwiching together.)