Citrus Cupcake with Lemon Icing and Caramelised Orange Peel
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Place the butter, castor sugar and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until light and creamy.
- Gradually add the eggs and beat well after each addition.
- Sift the flour and baking powder over the butter mixture and stir to combine.
- Spoon the cake mixture into 18 x ½-cup capacity muffin pans lined with paper cups.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Remove from the pans and cool on wire racks.
- To serve, spoon the lemon icing over the cupcakes.
- Leave to cool.
- Decorate with caramelised orange peel.
- Place the icing sugar, lemon juice and liqueur in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Set aside.
- Use a zester and scrape the orange part of the peel off the orange.
- Heat ½ cup sugar and 1 cup water in a pot.
- Add the peel and leave to boil together until liquid is syrupy.
- Strain and decorate the cupcakes with the caramelised orange peel.