Makes 25 marshmallows, depending on size
500ml desiccated coconut
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Lightly grease a 24 cm square glass dish.
- Toast the coconut on a baking tray in the oven until golden brown.
- Evenly distribute a 1/3 of the coconut over the base of the dish and set aside.
- Sprinkle the gelatine over the cold water and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Stir the sugar, salt and syrup with the boiling water in a saucepan until the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to the boil over medium heat. Boil until the mixture reaches 116ºC on the candy thermometer. That is the soft ball stage.
- Remove from the heat and add the gelatine. Transfer to the bowl of the mixer and beat on high speed until very thick for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile beat the egg whites to soft peak.
- When the marshmallow mixture is very thick, stir in the vanilla essence.
- Fold in the egg whites and spread over the coconut in the glass dish, smoothing the top.
- Cover with half of the remaining coconut.
- Let the marshmallows stand at room temperature, uncovered, until firm for about 3 hours.
- Cut into squares and toss in the remaining coconut to cover the sides.