Coconut Swiss Roll
Serves 6 – 8.
4 extra large eggs, separated
1 ml (pinch) salt
210 g (1 cup) Huletts Castor Sugar
140 g (1 cup) self-raising wheat flour, sifted
30 ml (2 T) milk
25 g (2 T) Huletts Castor Sugar, extra
For the filling:
Warm apricot jam
250 ml (1 cup) filling of your choice (we used a layer of Huletts Chocolate Flavoured Icing)
For the topping:
250 ml (1 cup) plain butter icing
250 g coconut flakes, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 180 ⁰C. Grease and line a 38 x 26 cm Swiss roll tin with baking paper, extending paper on all sides of the tin.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form. Add the castor sugar, a little at a time whilst beating continuously. Add the egg yolks and beat thoroughly until the mixture is light and creamy.
- Using a metal spoon fold the sifted flour alternately with the milk into the egg mixture.
- Pour into the prepared tin and tilt the tin to level the mixture, making sure it goes into the corners. Bake for 8 – 10 minutes until lightly golden and springy to the touch.
- Cut a sheet of baking paper slightly larger than the Swiss roll tin. Place the paper on a damp tea towel. Sprinkle evenly with the extra castor sugar. As soon as the Swiss roll is baked, turn it out onto the tea towel.
- Peel off the paper lining and trim the edges of the cake using a sharp knife. Roll up the cake with the tea towel, and allow to cool slightly.
- Unroll the cake and gently spread the warm apricot jam over the sponge. Spread with the filling.
- Roll up with the aid of the tea towel and leave to cool completely.
- Cover with a layer of the plain butter icing and sprinkle generously with the toasted coconut flakes
For the toasted coconut flakes:
- Line a roasting pan with non-stick greaseproof baking paper. Sprinkle coconut flakes in a single layer over the paper. Toast at 180°C for ±10 minutes. Store in an airtight container when cool.
Hint: Keep a watchful eye on the coconut as it burns easily.