Colour Sprinkles Cake
1 x vanilla sponge cake recipe, to make 2 x 20 cm round cake layers (use your own trusted recipe or visit www.hulettssugar.co.za)
For the buttercream icing:
200 g butter
325 g (2½ cup) Huletts Icing Sugar
5 ml (1 t) vanilla essence
30 ml (2 T) cream
100 g coloured sprinkles (hundreds & thousands)± 1m ribbon
- Make the vanilla sponge and allow to cool completely.
- Buttercream Icing: Beat the butter and icing sugar together until light and fluffy. Add vanilla essence and cream, and beat until a smooth and spreadable consistency is reached. (Add a splash of milk, if required.)
- Sandwich the cakes together with a spread of the buttercream icing. Spread the rest of icing evenly around the sides and top of the cake.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour or until the icing is firm. (This enables the sprinkles to stick).
- Remove cake from the refrigerator and gently press the sprinkles into the sides and top of the cake.
- To decorate, tie a ribbon around the cake.