160 g Huletts White Sugar
80 ml(1 / 3 cup) water
180 ml(¾cup) milk
180 ml(¾cup) cream
2 extra large eggs
4 extra large egg yolks
70 g(1 / 3 cup) Huletts White Sugar, extra
5 ml(1 t) vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 150° C.
- Place sugar and water in a saucepan over high heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring the sugar to the boil and cook 10 - 12 minutes until the mixture is golden brown.Do not stir– this is to prevent crystallization.
- Pour the hot mixture into 4 ramekins, set aside until the caramel is set.
- In another saucepan, bring milk and cream to a boil, remove from heatand set aside.
- Beat eggs, egg yolks, extra sugar and vanilla essence together until well combined.
- Whisk the warm cream mixture into the egg mixture until smooth, strain through a sieve.
- Pour the custard mixture into the ramekins over the caramel and place the ramekins in a baking dish filled with hot water that reaches halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake for 35 - 40 minutes or until set.
- Remove from the water bath, allow to cool and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before serving.
- Turn out onto plates to serve.