Cupcakes with Meringue Icing
Makes 18 cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Beat all the cupcake ingredients together lightly until smooth and lump-free.
- Place paper cups in patty - or muffin pans and half-fill them with batter (about two tablespoonfuls each).
- Bake for about 12 minutes.
- Allow to cool.
- Combine all ingredients, except vanilla, in top of a double boiler.
- Beat until well mixed.
- Beat constantly until frosting forms a stiff peak.
- Work through occasionally with a spoon or spatula.
- Remove from heat, add the vanilla essence and beat well.
- Pipe the icing onto the cupcakes and sprinkle with 100's and 1000's (optional).