Makes 16 portions
Ingredients2kg fish portions
salt and pepper
flour for dusting
oil for frying
40g (75ml) cornflour
400g (500ml) Huletts White Sugar
or Huletts SunSweet Brown Sugar
4 onions, chopped
10 dried peaches
12,5ml curry powder
4 bay leaves
- Dry the fish portions with a kitchen towel and flavour with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with 125ml vinegar.
- Dust fish with flour until completely coated. Fry the fish portions in shallow, medium hot oil until done, ± 4 minutes per side.
- Mix 60ml of the vinegar with the cornflour to form a smooth paste and keep aside.
- Place all the other ingredients, except the fish portions and the cornflour paste, in a pot and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the cornflour mixture and boil until the sauce is thick and shiny.
- Place the fish portions in layers in a container and pour curry sauce over each layer.
- Top with the remaining sauce.
- Keep in the fridge until needed.
The flavour of the fish intensifies over time.