Frozen Chocolate Swiss Roll with granadilla flavoured ice cream filling
Serves 10 - 12
4 extra large eggs
pinch (1 ml) salt
200 g (1 cup) Huletts White Sugar
50 ml cold water
5 ml (1 t) vanilla essence
140 g (1 cup) cake wheat flour
45 ml (3 T) cocoa powder
5 ml (1 t) baking powder
25 g (2T) Huletts Castor Sugar, extra
For the ice cream filling:
1 litre vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
1 small tin granadilla pulp or the pulp of 4 fresh granadillas
- Preheat the oven to 190⁰C. Grease and line a 38 x 26 cm Swiss roll tin with baking paper.
- Whisk the eggs using an electric mixer. Add the salt and sugar whilst beating continuously until light and creamy. Add the water and vanilla essence and beat thoroughly.
- Sift the flour, cocoa and baking powder together and carefully fold into the mixture using a metal spoon. This is to incorporate as much air as possible.
- Spoon into the prepared tin and tilt the tin to level the mixture, making sure it goes into the corners.
- Bake for 10 - 12 minutes until springy to the touch.
- Cut a sheet of baking paper slightly larger than the Swiss roll tin. Place the paper on a damp tea towel. Sprinkle the paper evenly with the extra castor sugar. As soon as the Swiss roll is baked turn it out onto the tea towel.
- Peel off the paper lining and trim the edges of the cake using a sharp knife. Roll up the cake with the tea towel, and allow to cool slightly.
- Mix the ice cream and granadilla pulp together. Unroll the cake and spread with the filling, ending about 2 cm from all sides.
- Roll up and wrap in aluminium foil and immediately place in deep freeze.
- Remove from deep freeze just before serving. Slice into 1 cm thick slices and serve.
Note: Instead of ice cream the Swiss roll can also be filled with slightly sweetened whipped cream (use 500 ml cream) flavoured with the granadilla pulp.