Makes 1 loaf
1 Extra-large egg
- Preheat the oven to l80ºC.
- Grease a 13cm x 25cm loaf pan and line the base with non-stick baking paper.
- Whisk the egg with an electric whisk in a mixing bowl until light. Whisk in the sugar and oil until well mixed. Stir in the buttermilk and set aside
- In a separate bowl sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Stir in the fruits and nuts.
- Add to the egg mixture to the flour mixture, all at once, stirring until just combined. Spoon the mixture into the loaf pan.
- Smooth the top and bake for about 1 hour, until well risen and golden brown and a skewer or wooden cocktail stick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then place on a wire rack to cool completely.