Golden Syrup Snaps
HistoryThis is a delicious treat with coffee, espresso or as wafers on ice cream.
Ingredients100 g butter
65 g (80 ml) Huletts SunSweet
150 ml Huletts Golden Syrup
juice of ½ lemon
80 g (175 ml) cake flour
5 ml ground ginger
30 ml brandy
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Use an additional 15 ml butter to generously grease a baking tray.
- Melt the butter, sugar, syrup and lemon juice together over moderate heat.
- Remove from heat and beat in the flour, ginger and brandy.
- Leave the mixture to cool thoroughly.
- Drop teaspoonfuls of the mixture onto the baking tray, leaving about 10 cm between each teaspoonful, as the batter will spread out.
- For easy handling bake 3 at a time.
- Place the baking tray in an oven and bake for 5 - 10 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown.
- Working quickly, use a spatula or knife to lift syrup snaps from tray.
- Roll immediately around the greased handle of a wooden spoon.
- Allow to firm and cool on the spoon handle.
- Leave to cool and seal in an airtight container or cellophane bag.