Hot Lips Shortbread Biscuits with Royal Icing
Makes ±24 biscuits, depending on the size of the cutter you use.
200 g butter
125 ml Huletts Castor Sugar
187 ml cornflour
210 g (375 ml) cake flour
1 egg white, at room temperature
pinch cream of tartar
260 g (500 ml) Huletts Icing Sugar, sifted
MethodFor the Shortbread
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Beat the butter and castor sugar together until light and creamy.
- Add the flour and cornflour and mix to a smooth dough.
- Roll the dough out onto lightly floured surface until 5 mm thick.
- Cut with cookie cutter into oval shapes. Place on greased oven tray and bake for 10 - 12 minutes until a light straw colour. Leave to cool.
- In a small glass bowl, whisk the egg white.
- Add a pinch of cream of tartar. Continue to whisk in by hand until well blended.
- Add a teaspoon at a time of the icing sugar and continue to work in well until fully dissolved. Note: If too much icing sugar is added at one time, the icing becomes thick and heavy.
- Continue whisking in icing sugar until a medium peak forms.
- Colour royal icing with red food colouring.
- To Decorate: Place a small icing tube nozzle into a piping bag, and fill with royal icing of a piping consistency. Note: Mix some of the royal icing with a little extra egg white to make it slightly runny.
- Pipe an outline on the biscuit. Leave to dry for a minute or two. Fill the inside with the runny icing. Be careful not to go over the edges.
- Leave to dry completely.