4 large lamb shanks
Salt and coarsely ground pepper
30 ml (2 T) sunflower oil
2 onions, peeled and chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 chilli, chopped – remove seeds to reduce heat
30 ml (2 T) balsamic vinegar
45 ml (3 T) Huletts Molasses
2 sprigs rosemary
4 sprigs thyme
4 carrots, peeled and chopped
500 ml (2 cups) red wine OR beef stock
2 tins (410 g) chopped tomato
1 tin tomato puree
15 ml (1 T) salt
15 ml (1 T) pepper
- Season the lamb shanks with the salt and pepper. Using a large heavy based saucepan brown the seasoned lamb shanks and set aside.
- In a large pot, heat the oil and fry the onion and garlic until soft and light golden.
- Add the chilli and balsamic vinegar and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the Huletts molasses and simmer for 1 minute.
- Add the lamb shanks and all the remaining ingredients and bring to the boil.
- Turn the heat down and simmer for 3 – 4 hours or until the meat starts to fall off the bone.
- Skim the excess fat off and remove any stalks from the herbs.
- Serve with mash and roasted vegetables.