Luscious Lemon Tart
Makes 8 portions
Sweet Rich Shortcrust Pastry:
To make the Sweet Rich Shortcrust Pastry
- Sift the flour, salt and icing sugar together and place in bowl of food processor.
- Add the butter and process until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs.
- With the motor running add the egg yolks and process until combined.
- Add the iced water and process until the dough just comes together.
- Turn pastry out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth.
- Wrap the pastry in cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until ready to use.
Preparing Pastry Tin and Bake Blind
- Roll out the pastry to a circle 4cm wider than the diameter of the tin.
- Using the rolling pin, lift the pastry, centre it over the tin and ease it into place.
- Working from the centre outwards, press the pastry into the tin so that it fits snugly into the bottom edge and up the sides.
- Roll the rolling pin across the rim of the tin to remove excess pastry.
- Press around the rim and into the fluted sides with the fingertips.
- Using a fork, prick the base in several places to release any trapped air and to help prevent rising during cooking.
- Place in the freezer for 10 minutes, and then remove. This will make the pastry firmer.
To bake blind
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Line prepared pastry shell with greaseproof paper and fill with dried beans.
- For partial baking bake the shell for 8 minutes or until sides are just coloured.
- Remove the paper and beans, return the shell to the oven and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Sides of shell can be protected with foil to prevent over baking.
- Preheat the oven to 140ºC.
- Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk to combine, strain.
- Place the prepared pastry tin on a baking tray and pour the filling into the pie shell.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until just set. Leave to cool at room temperature and then refrigerate.
- To serve, dust with icing sugar.