Makes ± 30, depending on size.
260 g (500 ml) Huletts Icing Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Sift the icing sugar and flour together. Stir in the ground almonds.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer.
- Add the castor sugar and beat until soft peaks form.
- Gently stir the almond mixture into the beaten egg whites until smooth.
- Drop tablespoons of the mixture onto baking trays lined with baking paper and bake for 12-14 minutes or until crisp on the outside and moist on the inside.
- Cool on the trays.
- Filling: Combine the melted white chocolate and food colouring, and then cool slightly.
- To assemble: Spread the base of a macaroon with the filling and sandwich together with another macaroon. Repeat with the remaining macaroons.
Note: It's important not to open the oven door during cooking to keep the macaroons moist on the inside and crispy on the outside.