Meringue Flowers with Coloured Sugar Crystals
Makes 8 - 10 meringue flowers
210 g (1 cup) Huletts Castor Sugar
3 extra-large egg whites
8 - 10 paper straws
15 ml (1 T) Huletts Coloured Sugar Crystals
- Preheat the oven to 130ºC.
- Line two baking sheets with baking paper and set aside.
- Place the castor sugar and egg whites in a bowl over a pot of simmering water, stir until the sugar has dissolved. (The temperature should reach body heat).
- Remove from heat and whisk on high speed until the mixture is stiff and ready to use.
- Place the meringue into a piping bag with a star nozzle.
- Position the paper straws on the baking paper and pipe meringue flowers on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with coloured sugar crystals and bake for a further 30 - 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.