Meringues with Sprinkles
Makes 40 meringues
2 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 100ºC.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff. Add the sugar, water, vanilla essence and vinegar. Beat well until the mixture form stiff peaks.
- Fold the baking powder into the mixture.
- Line 2 large oven pans with alluminium foil, shiny side up. (Use a bit of the sticky meringue mixture and stick the corners of the foil to the bottom of the pan.)
- Place spoons full of the mixture onto the foil or, using a piping bag and a nozzle, pipe circles on the foil to form meringue nests.
- Bake the meringues for 90 minutes. Leave to cool in oven and store in
- airtight containers.
- Mix enough boiling water with the icing sugar to make a smooth, runny mixture. Add a drop of food colouring. Spoon icing on meringues and sprinkle with 100's & 1000's. Leave to dry.
Estimated costing, mark-up & suggested selling price
|Electricity / refrigeration:||R 6.00|
|Total expenses:||R 25.50|
|Recommended profit:||R 14.50|
|Recommended selling price per meringue:|
(R40.00 divided by 40 meringues)
|*Should you use serviettes or paper plates for packaging, remember to include this in your cost|