Mexican Beef Lettuce Cups
Serves 4 - 6
500 g beef sirloin
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
10 ml (2 t) ground cumin
10 ml (2 t) ground coriander
15 ml (1 T) olive oil
250 ml (1 cup) sour cream
3 ml (½ t) garlic, crushed
2 red chillies, thinly sliced (seeds removed for a milder version)
30 ml (2 T) lime or lemon juice
15 ml (1 T) Huletts Castor Sugar
salt and freshly ground black pepper
8-10 baby gem lettuce leaves, washed and trimmed
1 avocado, peeled and sliced
1 red onion, finely sliced
coriander leaves, to garnish
- Allow the beef to rest at room temperature for ± 20 minutes.
- Mix together the salt, pepper, cumin, coriander and oil; rub into the beef.
- Heat a griddle pan and fry the beef for 2-3 minutes (for medium rare) on each side without turning, set aside to rest for 5 minutes and slice thinly.
- For the dressing: Whisk all the ingredients together, until smooth and season to taste.
- To serve: Place a dollop of dressing into each lettuce cup, top with the beef slices, avocado and red onion. Garnish with coriander.