Makes 2 foil loaf pans (6 - 8 large portions or 15 x ±100 ml cups)
1,250 ml (5 cups) milk
- Bring 4 cups milk and cinnamon stick to the boil. Mix Maizena, flour and custard powder together. Beat egg yolks, 1 cup milk, vanilla essence and salt together.
- Mix the Maizena mixture and egg mixture together. Stir until the mixture is lump free.
- Remove the cinnamon stick from the boiled milk and add a bit of the hot milk to the Maizena and egg mixture. Stir thoroughly and add this mixture to the rest of the hot milk whilst stirring continuously. Add salt.
- Boil over medium heat until thick and done. Leave the mixture to cool and fold in the beaten egg white. Spoon a bit of melted margarine in each of the foil pans. Dip a metal spoon in the melted margarine and place spoonfuls of the cooked custard mixture in the foil pans. Divide the mixture between the two pans.
- Sprinkle a layer of cinnamon sugar and melted margarine between each layer of custard dumplings. Finish with a layer of cinnamon sugar and margarine.
Estimated costing, mark-up & suggested selling price
|Electricity / refrigeration:||R 3.00|
|Packaging:||R 16.30* (15 x polystyrene cups)|
|Total expenses:||R 63.51|
|Recommended profit:||R 33.99|
|Recommended selling price per cup:|
(R97.50 divided by 15 cups)
|*The foil loaf pans can be re-used and you must incorporate your cost based on selling individual portions vs. full loaf pan accordingly. Should you use serviettes or paper plates for packaging, remember to include this in your cost|