Naked Chocolate Cake
Suitable for a birthday, wedding or any other special occasion
3 extra large eggs
310 ml (1 ¼cups) Huletts Castor Sugar
375 ml (1 ½ cups) cake wheat flour
125 ml (½ cup) cocoa powder
15 ml (1 T) baking powder
250 ml (1 cup) warm water
125 ml (½ cup) sunflower oil
500 g butter - softened
1000 ml (4 cups) Huletts Icing Sugar
3 Macarons in various colours
3 “Ferro Rocha” chocolates
9- 10 Malted chocolate balls.
Speckled baby candy eggs - if desired
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease and line 2 x 20 cm round cake tins.
- Using an electric mixer beat the eggs and Huletts castor sugar together on medium to high speed until light and creamy, about 5 minutes.
- Mix the water and oil together.
- Sift the flour, cocoa and baking powder together. Mix the water and oil together and mix into the egg mixture alternatively with the flour until just combined.
- Pour 1/3 of the cake mix into one cake tin and 2/3 into the other cake tin.
- Bake for +/- 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Turn out onto a cooling rack, remove the baking paper and leave to cool.
- Beat the butter until smooth.
- Add the Huletts icing sugar and beat until light and creamy. It must be firm but not hard.
- Carefully trim any rounded tops off the cakes.
- Carefully cut the larger cake in half so that you have 3 round discs.
- Starting with the top piece of the cut cake, place it upside down on your serving plate.
- Spread a portion of the icing on the cut side and put the base of the cut cake on top, bottom or uncut side up.
- Spread icing over the top.
- Finally, top with you remaining disc of cake, ensuring that you place it trimmed side down, giving you a smooth and even top.
- Spread the icing over the top and sides of the cake, using a long metal spatula or flat bladed knife to ensure smooth sides and top.
- Decorate with the macarons and chocolates as per the image.
Un iced cake freezes well.
For vanilla cake, use 500 ml (2 cups) flour, omit the cocoa and add 5ml (1 t) vanilla essence.
For orange cake, use 500 ml (2 cups) flour, omit the cocoa and replace the water with fresh orange juice, warmed before adding.