Nectarine and Basil Cordial
Makes ±500ml cordial
6 nectarines, stoned and sliced into wedges
260 g (1¼ cups) Huletts Castor Sugar
12 fresh basil sprigs
Sparkling or still water to serve
- Place the nectarine wedges into a large pan and add the zest of 3 lemons, finely grated.
- Add the sugar and basil sprigs plus 500ml (2cups) of water and stir.
- Place the pan over medium heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes while stirring, until the sugar has dissolved.
- Leave to simmer, until the fruit is completely soft, do not allow to boil.
- Pulp the fruit with a potato masher and leave to simmer for a further 5 minutes, or until the mixture has thickened a little.
- Remove from the heat and set aside to cool completely. Strain through a coarse sieve into a mixing bowl, discard the solids.
- Juice the rest of the lemons, discarding the pips and stir into the lemonade.
- Pour the cordial into a large jug or sterilised bottle. This will keep, undiluted, for 2-3 days in the refrigerator.
- To serve, dilute the cordial with sparkling or still water (ratio 1:4) and garnish with extra nectarine wedges and basil sprigs, if desired.