Old-fashioned, Wholesome Lasagne
Serves 4 - 6
250g packet instant lasagne sheets
- Preheat oven to 180° C.
- Brush individual bowls or a large ovenproof dish with melted butter or oil, line with broken lasagne sheets, filling any gaps. Set aside.
- To make cheese sauce, melt butter in a medium pan. Remove from heat. Add flour and stir to make a paste. Gradually add milk, stirring until mixture is smooth. Return to heat. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until sauce begins to boil and thickens. Reduce heat, simmer for three minutes. Remove from heat; stir in the cheese, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- To make meat sauce, heat oil in a large pan. Add onion and garlic and stir over low heat until onion is soft and glazed. Add mince, using a fork stir until loose and crumbly and lightly browned. Add tomatoes, wine, oregano, basil, sugar and salt and pepper. Bring to boil while stirring. Reduce heat, simmer 20 minutes.
- Spoon one-third of the meat sauce over lasagne sheets. Top with one-third of the cheese sauce. Arrange a layer of lasagne sheets on top.
- Continue layering, finishing with lasagne sheets. Cover with cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle extra grated cheese on top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until nicely browned.
- Serve with a mixed salad.