One Layer Chocolate Cake with crumbled chocolate-chip cookie topping
Serves 8 - 10
400 g (2 cups) Huletts White Sugar
3 extra large eggs
125 ml (½ cup) sunflower oil
280 g (2 cups) cake wheat flour
45 g (½ cup) cocoa powder
8 ml (1½ t) bicarbonate of soda
8 ml (1½ t) baking powder
3 ml (½ t) salt
250 ml (1 cup) buttermilk
10 ml (2 t) vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 180⁰C.
- Grease a 30 x 40 cm rectangular cake tin.
- Beat the sugar and eggs together until light and creamy. Add the oil and beat to incorporate.
- Sift the flour, cocoa, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and salt together twice.
- Gently fold the flour mixture into the creamed mixture alternating with the buttermilk. Stir in the vanilla essence.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tin for ±10 minutes before turning out onto a wire cake rack to cool completely.
Decorate with cream or butter icing and chocolate-chip cookie crumbs or fresh fruit.